cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
I know doing WOL across subnets is annoying, but I thought of a way to use the existing WOL program and psexec to make a batch file that would select a remote machine based on the IP address of the target machine to remote exec the wol.exe from that subnet to make sure things work.

Would anyone find this useful? I can write up a batch to do this. perhaps, even if people don't have static servers in the remote subnet to do WOL from the batch could search the remote lan for usable machines to jump off of. that would be nice i think.

ps, I've also noticed another program "poweroff" that also seems to do a better job of the WOL feature. http://users.telenet.be/jbosman/applications.html

10 REPLIES 10
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
Note:

This is now added into Lansweeper 5.1
Boo
Engaged Sweeper
We are using wolman.exe and have implemented it in custom actions.

After configuring our routers, it wakes up everything on out network 🙂

bob_11
Engaged Sweeper III
Using this example I was able to allow broadcasts for my station to be sent to all my vlans on my layer 3 switches .... Good luck...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a008084b55c.shtml

If you have the network rights you can make this work within 10 mins...
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
Actually Lansweeper should just include the option in the Expensive version of lansweeper to proxy off the WOL program via any remote lansweeper service running on the remote subnets...

yup... if you have lansweeper running already on the remote subnet then it can be made to service requests for things 🙂
perhaps even a scheduled WOL brodcast 🙂

danielm
Champion Sweeper II
May not have time, but if i do ill try to throw something together.
WOL seems to always work locally if you have a good program, not sure if WOL.exe is the best 🙂
i found the poweroff.exe is really nice and has other features.

in any case the hard part would be putting together the logic and batch files of keeping alist of remote machines or perhaps searching for them and then psexecing from there...

I guess a simple check of the remote subnet and then picking a remote server to bounce off of would be easy. not sure 🙂

clabbadia
Engaged Sweeper II
Bob11, WOL does not work in my enviroment when I have to traverse to one of my subnets' I've been told by my IT guys that it is related to WOL being a broadcast technology and I am unable to broadcast to these other subnets. I know my fiber provider only allows layer 2 transmission which kills any type of broadcast.

I think DanielM has the same problem as I (and many others) so he is attempting to put together an action which will launch WOL via psexec and have it run on a computer that is on the same subnet as the machine he is wanting to wake.

Secondly, in version 5, I have lost my ability to pass {MAC} as an option. {MAC} is essential to this process.

Running a 3rd party product such as SolarWinds falls outside the scope of a custom action within LanSweeper so I'm not sure why that was brought up in this thread.
bob_11
Engaged Sweeper III
Not sure if you were talking to me but The wake on LAN feature is already built in as we wall know and it uses the wol.exe file or something like that in the custom actions folder. All I did was renamed the program to what lansweeper had been using and it started right up. I think the solar winds uses some sort of BPDU packet but I'm not entirely sure how they do it but it works 🙂
clabbadia
Engaged Sweeper II
I forgot to add ... I've noticed that with the newly released Lansweeper that {MAC} is only available when you apply it against a device but not when you attempt ot use it for an action related to a PC.

It's not even listed as an option. I wonder if this was an oversite?

{actionpath}, {smartname}, {assetname}, {dnsname},
{computer}, {domain}, {tag}, {username},
{userdomain}, {ipaddress}, {fqdn}, {scanserver}
clabbadia
Engaged Sweeper II
I'd be interested in how you put this together as I'm faced with the same challenge. I'd prefer to keep the 'solution' within Lansweeper.