cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfunk1
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello, we recently discovered that some of our assets show up on multiple switch ports (same switch). For example, I'll have a thin-client, and it'll say it's on ports X, Y, and Z on the switch. When I checked from the switch view in Lansweeper, that asset was listed 3 times. It was the "Last Seen" date that was unique. Now I assume, from Lansweepers changelog, this is why it is happening: Switch port mapping now keeps a history of the last active device connected to a port even if the device is offline at the time of the scan.

That's great, until the same device starts showing up multiple times. I only care where the device is right now. If Lansweeper detects the device, as active, on a new port, shouldn't it remove it from the old ports? There was a fix listed recently, I'm not sure what it means exactly though: Fixed: Duplicated Mac addresses for one switch port are now ignored.

This implies, at least to me, that if an asset w/ the same MAC address is detected on a new port on the switch, it will be ignored (what does ignored mean here) on the other port now?

That is not the case, if so. Could someone clarify? I'm on build 5.1.0.60. Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
What you are seeing is expected behavior. Lansweeper isn't saying that the asset is currently connected to all of these ports; it's saying the asset was connected to port X on date X, to port Y on date Y...

If Lansweeper detects the device, as active, on a new port, shouldn't it remove it from the old ports?

No, it will not. Each port shows the last asset to be connected to the port.

Fixed: Duplicated Mac addresses for one switch port are now ignored.

This fixes an issue with the *same* asset being listed multiple times as connected to the *same* port. This has nothing to do with the behavior you're describing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The asset will remain listed next to the old port until another asset connects to that port, at which point the new asset will replace the old one. We simply list the last asset to be connected to each port.
gfunk1
Engaged Sweeper II
Ok, so it sounds like it's more of an audit log so you can keep track of where a device was prior and if somebody moved it. Thanks for the reply. How long will it remember where a device was on a prior port, or is it forever? Also, is there a thresh-hold set to how many ports back it will remember for us? For example, after a device has been moved 5 times (just for example), will it eventually forget where the device was that 5th time back, or is it time-based?

A nifty checkbox saying something like "forget asset port mapping history" would be nice in the future too. 🙂 Again thanks for your quick answer.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
What you are seeing is expected behavior. Lansweeper isn't saying that the asset is currently connected to all of these ports; it's saying the asset was connected to port X on date X, to port Y on date Y...

If Lansweeper detects the device, as active, on a new port, shouldn't it remove it from the old ports?

No, it will not. Each port shows the last asset to be connected to the port.

Fixed: Duplicated Mac addresses for one switch port are now ignored.

This fixes an issue with the *same* asset being listed multiple times as connected to the *same* port. This has nothing to do with the behavior you're describing.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now