cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glen226
Engaged Sweeper
Hi everyone

We've been using the trial of Lansweeper for a couple of days and I think we are going to purchase it, it looks amazing.

One of the reasons we want Lansweeper is because of the ability to add comments on to asset records such as laptops. This means that should a laptop have an issue and we re-image and re-distribute it, should its second user complain of an issue we can pick up from the asset comments that a similar issue occurred in the past on that asset and we can attribute the fault to a hardware issue. Make sense?

Yesterday, a user complained that her laptop has been blue screening a lot so we removed her hard disk and fitted it into a new laptop with the same model. The potential faulty laptop has not been reimaged and redistributed yet, and is set aside and offline.

Even though her host name now appears online again (as it was a straightforward hard disk swap) in Lansweeper, the comments re the laptop being faulty still appear under the host name. Also, the old serial number and not the new one is appearing under the asset (that appears online).

The new serial number does not appear at all in yet in Lansweeper search results. We hoped that in the future whenever someone complains about an asset we could do a search on the serial number to see if that asset has a history of issues.

Do I need to do some sort of force scan to fix this or is this normal? Was I clear enough? If not please let me know and I'll ry and reword this.

Many thanks
Glen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Crashff is correct in stating that you are still seeing the record of the old laptop.

Once the new laptop has been scanned (through any scanning method) the old record will be overwritten due to the name and domain being the same for both assets. You will thus lose the added comments unless you change the hostname for the new laptop before it is rescanned.

If the record of the old laptop is not overwritten and rename detection is enabled, any future use of the laptop will be detected as the asset being renamed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Glen226
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks very much for your replies! Going forward, I'lll rename the asset before handing ou the replacement laptop in future.

I have enabled 'computer rename detection' now and set the serial scan from 40 to 5 days, so hopefully this should sort itself out.

Thanks again
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Crashff is correct in stating that you are still seeing the record of the old laptop.

Once the new laptop has been scanned (through any scanning method) the old record will be overwritten due to the name and domain being the same for both assets. You will thus lose the added comments unless you change the hostname for the new laptop before it is rescanned.

If the record of the old laptop is not overwritten and rename detection is enabled, any future use of the laptop will be detected as the asset being renamed.
crashff
Champion Sweeper
You're probably still seeing the lansweeper entry for the old laptop.
Check the MAC ID. If that's the case, edit the entry and erase the FQDN and host name and force a rescan of the asset.

There's probably an incomplete entry for the new laptop because of duplicated entries caused by moving the harddrive.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now