cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
huankheong
Engaged Sweeper
Recently I manually scanned a bunch of notebook that has the same hostname (standalone, not joined to domain).

I realized that Lansweeper only detect it as 1 notebook and only took the data from the last file it captured.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
A Windows computer’s ID is its computer name/domain (or workgroup) name combination. Lansweeper will never allow two computers with the same computer name and domain name to reside in the same database. If you attempt to scan multiple computers with the same computer name/domain name combination, these computers will start overwriting each other in the database.

If you have two Windows computers with the same domain name/computer name combination, you can theoretically get them both into a single database by scanning the first asset, renaming it in Lansweeper (by hitting the Edit Asset button on the asset page) and then scanning the second asset. However, this will cause issues upon rescanning. The Lansweeper service will still connect to the assets’ real name and will still try to look for that name in the database. In other words: the asset page you manually changed will never be updated and the asset page with the “correct” asset name will continuously be overwritten if you keep scanning both assets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
huankheong
Engaged Sweeper
Yes this was exactly what I did, guess I have to be careful when dealing with non AD customers.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
A Windows computer’s ID is its computer name/domain (or workgroup) name combination. Lansweeper will never allow two computers with the same computer name and domain name to reside in the same database. If you attempt to scan multiple computers with the same computer name/domain name combination, these computers will start overwriting each other in the database.

If you have two Windows computers with the same domain name/computer name combination, you can theoretically get them both into a single database by scanning the first asset, renaming it in Lansweeper (by hitting the Edit Asset button on the asset page) and then scanning the second asset. However, this will cause issues upon rescanning. The Lansweeper service will still connect to the assets’ real name and will still try to look for that name in the database. In other words: the asset page you manually changed will never be updated and the asset page with the “correct” asset name will continuously be overwritten if you keep scanning both assets.